Commercial Vehicle And Truck Accidents Are Much More Complex Than An Ordinary Collision
Generally, commercial trucks or big rigs are the largest vehicles you will encounter on the road. They can span up to 75 feet in length and can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. A commercial truck accident occurs when a large trailer – 10,000-plus lbs – collides with other vehicles or pedestrians. Considering that trucks account for a small percentage of all vehicles on the road, they cause many injuries and fatal accidents.
Trucking Accidents Are Much Deadlier Than Regular Accidents
The U.S. Department of Transportation, the National Center for Statistics and Analysis and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have compiled the following statistics regarding the incidence of different types of truck accidents in the U.S. to inform the public about traffic safety.
Semi- and heavy truck accident statistics include:
- Of the 15.5 million trucks in the U.S., only 13% are semis, big rigs, 18-wheelers and tractor-trailers
- About 98% of all semitruck-accidents result in at least one fatality
- For every 100 million miles driven on U.S. roadways, there are 2.3 deaths and 60.5 injuries caused by big rigs
Commercial truck accident statistics:
- The average cost of a commercial truck accident is about $59,150
- Nearly 90% of commercial truck accidents are caused or worsened by some sort of human error – either on behalf of a truck driver, other drivers, other vehicle passengers, cyclists or pedestrians
- Driver fatigue is responsible for roughly 30% of all commercial truck accidents
If you were involved in a trucking accident, liable parties may include the truck driver, truck driver’s employer, trucking company, freight owner, truck and truck components manufacturers and third-party maintenance companies. It is very important that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney if you were in a collision resulting in injury or death involving a big rig truck.
Speak To Us To Get Help Today
Too often, the victims of these accidents are the drivers of smaller passenger vehicles who are left to deal with costly medical bills, property damage and emotional trauma in addition to any physical harm they may have experienced. Our firm has successfully assisted many individuals and families after serious injuries and fatalities from truck accidents. Call us today at 727-361-2973 and speak with an experienced accident attorney; the initial consultation is offered at no cost. You can also write to us online if you would rather do so. We treat every single case with care and concern. In addition, we work on a contingent fee basis, which means there are no fees or costs unless we win.