Motorcycle Injury Accidents Can Leave You With Severe Surface And Internal Injuries
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are on the rise nationally and in Florida. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that between 2001 and 2008 in the U.S., more than 34,000 motorcyclists were killed and an estimated 1,222,000 persons were treated for nonfatal motorcycle accidents.
Most of the motorcycle accidents that occur in Florida involve Floridians, not tourists. They occur for a variety of reasons: lack of visual recognition – motorcycles make smaller visual targets, road hazards – potholes, debris, puddles, uneven pavement, riding skills and familiarity operating a motorcycle. Further, unlike a car, a motorcycle has no roof, no airbags and no safety belts to protect the motorcycle driver and passenger, and they are much more lightweight.
Steps You Should Take When You Are In A Motorcycle Accident
Being involved in a motorcycle accident can be a very stressful and scary time for all of the parties involved, including family members and loved ones. If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important that you don’t undertake any action to jeopardize your case.
It is advisable to follow these five steps anytime you are involved in a motorcycle collision:
- Do not admit fault for the accident to anyone no matter the circumstance: Your interpretation of the event may be skewed, so it is best not to say anything until your mind has been cleared.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not feel any symptoms immediately.
- Take pictures: Take pictures of the accident, scene and injuries you sustained. It is especially important to take photos of bruises, cuts and scrapes you sustained because they heal quickly.
- Take notes regarding your medical treatment and have the contact information of chiropractors, physical therapists or medical professionals you have been visiting. This information will be necessary to receive reimbursement from your insurance company.
- Schedule a free consultation with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will make sure that your legal rights are protected, how to properly deal with all the parties involved (insurance companies, witnesses) and may negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit on your behalf.
With medical bills in the tens of thousands of dollars, you cannot afford to not get an attorney to help you get compensation to pay for your treatment and help you become whole again.
Come And Speak With Us Today
If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle crash, contact experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at Williams & Ackley P.L.C. We have a lot of experience handling motorcycle crash cases and have been very successful in getting clients the compensation they desperately need and are entitled to. Call now at 727-361-2973 for a free initial consultation. You can also write to us if you are more comfortable doing that. We work on a contingent fee basis, which means there are no fees or costs unless we win.