Even The Safest Cyclist Can Be Involved In A Serious Bicycle Accident
The beauty of Florida is found in the number of parks and public paths that can be traveled, and one of the most popular ways to enjoy these natural spaces is on a bicycle. With Starkey Wilderness Bike Trail right next door to our lovely city, many residents of New Port Richey enjoy relaxing by taking a trip through the wilderness park. Others are more practical and use their bicycles to make short commutes for shopping or recreation in our downtown area by Sims Park.
Unfortunately, the state of Florida is the most dangerous state in the nation for cycling, accounting for one in every six deaths nationwide. A serious cycling crash may be caused by a large number of circumstances. In most bicycle accidents, a negligent automobile driver is at fault.
Some of the common causes of accidents are:
- A driver turning directly in front of a bicyclist
- A driver entering the street from a driveway or parking space pulls into traffic in front of the bicyclist
- A driver failing to yield at an intersection
- A driver failing to stop at a stop sign or red light
- A driver’s inattention while driving past a bicyclist
- A driver failing to look both ways when resuming travel after stopping at a stop sign
- A driver impaired by drugs or alcohol
However, a bicycle-motor vehicle crash does not have to occur in order for a bicyclist to receive compensation for his or her injuries. Some Florida bike accidents involve defective bikes, negligent placement of construction roadway markers, improper maintenance of the roadway, and careless cycling by other cyclists on the road. In some cases, you may also recover damages if you were injured in a crash that resulted from taking evasive action to avoid being hit.
Important Information For Any Cyclist In Florida
Facts any bicyclist should know:
- Florida law considers a bicycle to be a vehicle, so bicyclists are accountable for traffic laws just like automobile drivers.
- Cyclists involved in a bicycle-motor vehicle accident may seek compensation for their injuries under their own car insurance policy; and in some cases, under the at-fault driver’s policy.
- It is recommended that bicyclists involved in a crash consult with an experienced injury attorney because they can help victims obtain all of the compensation they deserve.
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, then you should first seek medical treatment. However, once you are safe, you should speak with an attorney as soon as you can to determine your options for getting compensation to pay your medical bills and make yourself whole again.
Call Our Office Today
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, please contact the Florida bicycle accident lawyers at Williams & Ackley P.L.C. today. We offer free initial consultations and work on a contingent-fee basis, which means there are no fees or costs unless we win. You can call us at 727-361-2973 today to get your consultation scheduled, or you can send us an email if that would be easier for you.